Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Quantity Surveying: Foundation Programme
This distance learning course will take you through the key principles of tendering, estimating and pricing and construction contracts and their financial provisions.
At the end of the course you will feel at ease with the essentials of Quantity Surveying and better equipped to make informed decisions when dealing with professional Quantity Surveyors.
Suitability - Who should attend?
- Construction professionals who want to learn about the key underpinning principles quantity surveying
- Professionals thinking of moving into the QS profession and need a practical understanding of the skills and knowledge needed for the role
- Other professionals in the built environment who are looking to learn about cost estimating, tendering and procurement techniques and methodologies at a foundation level.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
150 hours of Formal CPD
This course will provide a clear understanding of:
- the principles of estimating and tendering
- the basic principles for pricing simple domestic scale construction
- the process required for the routine operation of a construction contract
- the main procurement routes available and the advantages and disadvantages of each
- the tendering procedure followed by contractors
- which form of contract is most applicable in a given situation
- the procedure for completing the contract form
- the differences between the various different types of subcontractor
- how to value variation works under the JCT 05 standard form of building contract
- the procedure for ascertaining the amount stated as due in an interim certificate
- the steps a contractor should take to gain an extension of time
- the liquidated damages provisions included in the JCT 05 standard form of building contract
- the main procurement routes available and the advantages and disadvantages of each.
Training Course Content
Delivered over a 6 months programme, this course teaches the practices of quantity surveying in a topic approach.
Each individual unit teaches a competency required by the profession and using a blended style of online study, delegates will gain a thorough grounding of the required skills.
Each unit is composed of the following to support and enhance the learners needs in gaining the required level of knowledge throughout the course programme.
The online technical elearning courses provide you with a detailed overview of the principles and methodologies covered within each unit. Created by highly experienced trainers.
Case studies and Practical exercises
Technical case studies provide you with examples of practice, within these case studies you will be able to test the training against the theory taught within the unit. Answers and your examples can be shared within the online forums.
Further your study and understanding of the units and methodologies with the unit reading material. Sourced from text books and articles, these readings support your development throughout the course programme.
Each unit has a dedicated forum to provide you with constant access to your tutor and a shared learning area with fellow delegates. Creating a dedicated learning environment you will be able to partake in topic discussion and share you learning with lots of other people from all over the world.
RICS Member: £595 + VAT
Non Members: £695 + VAT
The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS):
World's leading professional body for qualifications in land, property and construction
RICS is professional, independent organisation with more than 118,000 qualified members and over 50,000 students and trainees in over 140 countries, established in the UK by Royal Charter. It is committed to setting and upholding the highest standards of excellence and integrity...
Find out more about this Quantity Surveying: Foundation Programme course - simply fill out your details: