Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Conceptual Design for Structural Engineers (Online) - An Introductory Course
This online course provides a theoretical framework for understanding conceptual design in the context of structural engineering. It will include understanding the overall process of design, where conceptual design fits within the process, how to interpret a client brief, strategies for generating ideas in response to a brief, and rapid, iterative modelling and testing of ideas.
Participants will apply the techniques taught in the workshop to design scenarios that they bring from their personal practice. The course is delivered through a series of 4 weekly 2-hour interactive webinars supported by individual study in between.
- Week 1 (26 February) - Working with the brief
- Week 2 (05 March) - Developing ideas
- Week 3 (12 March) - Modelling and testing ideas
- Week 4 (19 March) - Bringing it all together
Suitability - Who should attend?
Structural engineers who are preparing to take The Institution of Structural Engineers Chartered Membership Exam.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Explain the design process as a series of discrete steps
- Describe the characteristics of a good design brief and use this knowledge to write your own brief
- Describe and use techniques for idea generation
- Describe and use techniques for modelling and testing your ideas
The Institution of Structural Engineers is the world’s largest membership organisation dedicated to the art and science of structural engineering. The Institution's training programme offers a variety of technical and professional courses of the highest quality for members and non-members...
Find out more about this Conceptual Design for Structural Engineers (Online) - An Introductory Course course - simply fill out your details: