Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Practical Facilitation SkillsRoffey Park Institute
Practical Facilitation Skills
All available course dates
Our Practical Facilitation Skills programme is a comprehensive and real-world programme aimed at enabling participants to understand the skills required in the role of facilitator. With group practice sessions you will learn to understand group dynamics, how to pre-plan and be flexible “in the moment”. Overall, you will gain an understanding in what a facilitator needs to do to enable groups to work together to achieve their goals.
Suitability - Who should attend?
This programme is for you
- You are a line manager who wants to enable their teams to be more productive and effective
- You are HR, OD or L&D professional or change agent who wants to become more effective with groups to get results, drive change and improve delivery
Training Course Content
Practical Facilitation Skills consists of six modules. Our classroom programme is delivered as a two-day residential. The online programme consists of a launch session followed by six 90-minute module sessions facilitated live.
Module 1 – The role and skills of facilitation
- Articulate the role and purpose of facilitation and how it applies to your organisation
- Be able to demonstrate the required behaviours and skills required in the role of facilitator
Module 2 – Knowing your license to proceed: gaining buy-in from the group
- Use “contracting” as a tool to set up a meeting and exchange expectations
- Identify elements of a contract at the levels of task, process and relationships
Module 3 – Planning and structuring a session
- Understand and describe key design principles
- Prepare a structured session plan
- Participate as part of a group and provide effective feedback
Module 4 – Facilitation techniques
- Describe a range of approaches or methods for group facilitation
- Demonstrate skill in listening and asking questions, providing feedback
Module 5 – Knowing when and how to intervene
- Understand what intervention means
- Describe several interventions and the rationale for deciding when to intervene and how in a given situation
- Demonstrate the ability to flex between a range of intervention styles and receive feedback on their impact
Module 6 – Recognising group process and group closure
- Demonstrate awareness of group process
- Understand and articulate how you would manage yourself in a difficult situation
- Describe key points to account for when facilitating group closure
Get Inspired! Watch the Video
Roffey Park Institute
Roffey Park Institute is an international, research led learning and development organisation. Combining research, qualifications based workplace learning and development programmes, we focus on personal, interpersonal and organisational learning in leadership, management, human resource development, and organisational development. Our goal...
Average rating 5Based on 2 reviews.
Find out more about this Practical Facilitation Skills course - simply fill out your details: