Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Advanced Facilitation SkillsRoffey Park Institute
Advanced Facilitation Skills
All available course dates
Advanced Facilitation Skills is a programme that is a rich, rewarding and challenging experience for experienced facilitators to deepen their ability to work with groups. The programme explores the nature of facilitation and complex group dynamics. Highly practical with group work, real world exercises and peer review. Drawing upon dialogic tools, group and social learning models every step of this programme will incorporate your learning into practicable application.
Suitability - Who should attend?
This programme is for you if
- You are an experienced facilitator, manager, HR, OD L&D professional or change agent who wants to enhance your personal understanding of self as expert in terms of your role as a facilitator
- You wish to establish a deeper understanding of your own principles and approaches to facilitation along with developing and understanding of group dynamics and its role in enhancing a facilitators impact.
- You want to focus on areas of personal development throughout and after the programme and want to take the opportunity to review your approach and style, learn about new ways of facilitation
Benefits for you
- To increase self-awareness, impact and confidence in the role of facilitator
- Be able to increase the range of situations you can address
- Deepen further your understanding of working with group dynamics
- Build greater awareness of the impact of organisations on the behaviour of individuals and groups
- Be able to establish a deeper understanding of the social nature of learning
Benefits for your organisation
- Individuals will have the gravitas, confidence and tools to demonstrate a wider range of creative approaches to help organisations and groups to achieve their objectives.
- Understand how to use their personal impact on groups and individuals to good effect
- Have a range of approaches to be a skilful facilitator, able to deal with challenging situations and deal with complicated group dynamics
- Be more skilled in facilitating change by challenging and supporting teams to make difficult, quality choices
Training Course Content
- Advanced Facilitation Skills consists of ten 90-minute online modules held over four weeks.
- This programme is highly practical using real examples and academic models.
- The programme cohort will act as your group allowing for quick peer feedback from practise sessions. Helping you understand your impact and give you the opportunity to practise your methods and approaches in a supportive learning environment.
Module One: The context and role of facilitation
- Articulate the role and purpose of facilitation and how it adds value to your organisation
- Identify the key challenges or ‘blocks’ you face in the role as facilitator within your organisation
- Demonstrate awareness of your current impact, qualities and skills
Module Two: Collaborative inquiry and building buy-in
- Be able to conduct a collaborative inquiry
- Describe several options for handling organisational politics, power and other challenging situations
Module Three: Planning and designing an event
- Articulate and critique various approaches to planning an event
- Describe and critique different approaches to learning design
- Identify the steps to planning their session in accordance with their preferred approach
Module 4: Individual and organisational learning
- Describe how adults typically learn,
- Map their development journey
- Define what is meant by social learning and identify opportunities for this within their organisations
Module Five: The role of dialogue
- Demonstrate awareness of key aspects of the dialogic approach
- Articulate how to engage groups using the dialogic approach
Module Six: Potency, Permission and Protection
- Describe the significance of potency, protection and permission to the role of facilitator
- Demonstrate awareness of their impact and steps they can take to enhance their presence
- Describe psychological safety and how to build this in a group
Module Seven: Reading Group Dynamics
- Articulate the role and responsibility held by the facilitator in terms of group process
- Describe how to identify and interpret group process with reference to relevant theory or frameworks
- Identify strategies for engaging in group process
Module Eight: Facilitating with Group Dynamics
- Articulate what is meant by group dynamics and the significance of this to facilitation
- Demonstrate awareness of how to read group dynamics, how to build trust and psychological safety
Module Nine: Organisational context
- Demonstrate awareness of the interplay between the organisation and the behaviour of individuals and groups
- Identify key patterns and how to make use of this insight in the role of facilitator
Module Ten: Focusing on what is possible, not what is likely
- Describe the difference between technical problems and adaptive challenges
- Describe how to address an adaptive challenge
- Demonstrate awareness of how to enable collaboration and working alliances
Roffey Park Institute
Roffey Park Institute is an international, research led learning and development organisation. Combining research, qualifications based workplace learning and development programmes, we focus on personal, interpersonal and organisational learning in leadership, management, human resource development, and organisational development. Our goal...
Find out more about this Advanced Facilitation Skills course - simply fill out your details: