Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Develop the proofreading skills needed to identify mistakes in your writing. Learn how to spot and correct common spelling, grammar and punctuation errors.
The Proofreading Intro course delivers the skills needed to identify and correct mistakes so that your copy achieves maximum impact on your audience.
During this practical one-day course you will learn how to read thoroughly and accurately. You will be able to spot and correct the common spelling, grammar and punctuation errors that can ruin a good message.
The expert trainers make extensive use of exercises to build your proofreading skills and confidence.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
Awards: Certificate of Achievement
What Will I Learn?
- Print vs online
- Proofreader's marks
- Common grammatical errors
- Punctuation tips
- Headlines and captions
Training Course Content
- Functions of a proofreader
- Approaches to proofreading
- How to read thoroughly and accurately
- Proofreading on paper and on screen
Proofreading and editing marks
- Understanding proofreader's marks and terminology
- Commonly used terms: ens, ems, points, picas
- Different types of proof
- The dangers of relying on grammar or spelling checkers
- Keeping a proofreading checklist
- Dealing with tables and complicated pages
- How to read and correct page proofs
- Cutting and making lines
- Punctuation marks defined
- Common punctuation errors
- Deviating from the usual proofreading rules
- Spelling and punctuation tips
- Regularly misspelt words
- Avoiding common errors
- Changes in current usage
Working with the author
- The role of tact
Avoiding the common pitfalls
- Misspelling headlines
- Wrong telephone numbers or email addresses
- Incorrect prices
- Misplaced headlines or captions
Practical proofreading exercises
Course delivery details
The following delivery options are available for this course:
- Classroom at London Bridge
- Online, live from anywhere
Why choose Media Training
25+ years of experience
Average class size of 6
Choose Mac or PC
What makes a great course? When we opened our first centre 25 years ago, we asked ourselves this question. We've spent every day since perfecting the answer. We offer over 100 instructor-led courses that you can choose to attend either...
Average rating 4.8Based on 148 reviews.
Find out more about this Proofreading Intro course - simply fill out your details: