Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Advanced Corporate GovernanceLondon Business Training & Consulting
Advanced Corporate Governance
Our Leadership and Structures of Corporate Governance training provides an insight into the fundamentals of this fascinating subject. Corporate Governance is about what Boards do and how they do it- how Boards are structured, what their priorities should be and what international codes set out as best practice. This course will provide a foundation for an understanding of Corporate Governance and provide a basis for subsequent training.
When companies go off track – unexpected risks become reality, unplanned-for claims arrive without notice, a sudden vacancy appears among top management – shareholders look to the Board of Directors for an explanation and a remedy. But how do we know if directors are effective? And how should we measure their performance? This course examines 'what good looks like' for members of a board when carrying out their duties – including the Board chairman, the Company Secretary and non-executive directors.
The course will wrap with a summary of the key learning points, followed by an action planning exercise with a view to apply the acquired knowledge and skills immediately upon your return to work. Post-course support is also available in relation to the implementation of your action plan, up to six (6) months following course completion.
Suitability - Who should attend?
This course is suitable for:
- Non-Executive Directors wanting to understand their role;
- Other Board members wishing to refresh their knowledge and skills;
- Chairs of organizations, Chief Executives, Company Secretaries, Other Heads of organizations;
- Professionals, practitioners, and managers in corporate investment, as well as Leaders in state owned enterprises, public, voluntary, and non-profit organizations;
- those needing to get to grips with good governance such as Inhouse counsel and Regulatory and Compliance professionals.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
- Understand the fundamental principles of corporate governance, including:
- the role of the Board of Directors;
- how boards are structured and operate, including through Board Committees; and
- the benefits of board member diversity including gender, ethnic and 'functional' diversity.
- Describe what the legal duties of a director are.
- Recognize the characteristics of an ineffective Board.
- Review how to run an effective board meeting.
- Explain the roes and skills needed for key appointments to the board, including the chairman, company secretary and non-executive directors.
- Implement a performance measurement structure for individual directors and the board as a whole.
- Implement an Action Plan at your workplace using the knowledge and skills acquired through the course.
Training Course Content
Corporate Governance Fundamentals
- Corporate Governance defined
- Corporate Governance theories
- Corporate Governance Codes
Role of the Board
- Corporate purpose and strategy
- Corporate risk
- Corporate culture and Ethics
- Balancing the interests of Shareholders and Stakeholders
- Engaging with stakeholders
Board Composition and Structures
- Board Structures: Unitary vs Dual Boards
- Board Composition
- Board Committees
- Creating Board Diversity
Employee Representation on the Board
- Typical Board composition
- Why invite Employee Representation?
- Models of Worker Representation on Boards
- Upsides and Downsides of Mandating Employee Representation
The Effective Board Director
- Directors Legal Duties
- What skills do Board directors need?
- What makes an effective board?
- Evaluating Board Performance
Leadership, Independence and Governance
- Role and skills of the Board chairman
- Roles and skills of the Non-executive director
- The company secretary as head of governance
- Role of Executives
- The Executive Committee
Performance Measurement and Remuneration of Directors
- Appointments to the Board & Succession planning
Running an Effective Board Meeting
- How to run an Effective board meeting
- Meeting Agendas
- Summary and recap of key learning objectives
- Action Planning
Why choose London Business Training & Consulting
Management consultation service
Paperless service delivery model
Flexible open course schedule
Customer Outreach Award 2019
We believe that it should be easy for you to find and compare training courses.
Our Customer Outreach Award is presented to trusted providers who are excellent at responding to enquiries, making your search quicker, more efficient and easier, too.
London Business Training & Consulting
London Business Training & Consulting (LBTC) is the UK’s premier business and management training and consultancy service provider. LBTC offers 600 management training courses in sixteen (16) subject categories of durations ranging from 1-day to 11-weeks. This includes 90-minute interactive live online training courses....
Average rating 4Based on 3 reviews.
Find out more about this Advanced Corporate Governance course - simply fill out your details: