Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Certificate in Pensions AdministrationChartered Institute of Payroll Professionals
Certificate in Pensions Administration - 9 months Flexible/Distance Learning Course
The Certificate in Pensions Administration accredited payroll training course has been developed alongside experienced pension practitioners to ensure that it meets the needs of the industry. The course programme provides a clear opportunity for students to develop and demonstrate their knowledge, understanding and application of job roles within the pension industry.
Due to the recent onset of legislative changes impacting pension regulation, including automatic enrollment, it is crucial that payroll employees remain up-to-date with the latest standards in regulations to ensure that the process is executed accurately and efficiently. By providing employees with the necessary training, employers can avoid exceedingly costly errors in pension administration.
Suitability - Who should attend?
This qualification is especially suitable for individuals in the public and private sectors. This is an excellent entry level qualification for:
- Payroll professionals in charge of administration relating to automatic enrolment
- Pensions administrators looking forward to achieve a formal qualification
- Beginners in the pensions arena requiring training on pension schemes and how to administer them
This certificate is aimed at both the public and the private sector and is an excellent entry level qualification for members of the pensions, payroll and human resources teams that have day to day interactions with the pension scheme and scheme provider.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
Upon successful completion of the course participants will gain:
- Increased knowledge and confidence within their respective roles
- Better understanding of how pensions schemes should be administered to comply with legislation
- Reduced risks of compliance penalties, especially in relation to automatic enrolment
- Increased capability of applying their learnings into practice in the form of work based assignments benefitting both themselves and their respective organisations
Training Course Content
The Certificate in Pensions Administration is a nine month level 3 course.
There are 6 assignments and 1 exam completely delivered using our online learning platform. The recommended study time per week is 8-10 hours. There is one module review day and one revision session per module, these are live sessions conducted online.
This certificate is split into seven modules:
Overview of UK pension schemes
- The different schemes available; e.g. occupational pensions schemes, defined benefit schemes, defined contribution schemes
- The role of HMRC, the Department for Work and Pensions and The Pensions Regulator
- Annual reporting requirements
Providing pension scheme information
- Criteria for membership
- Providing information to members where their changing circumstances can impact on their potential pension benefits/rights; e.g. eligible job holders, non-eligible job holders and entitled workers and the factors which may change which of these an individual belongs to
Creating and maintaining pension scheme member records
- Understanding the scheme rules and organisational procedures
- Completing the new member process within the required dates; the impact of the dates on opting out of the scheme and when to use
- Postponement for automatic enrolment
- Investigating and resolving discrepancies
Transferring into and out of pension schemes
- Understand the regulations and requirements relating to transfers
- Data verification
- Calculating and communicating transfers
Amend pension records to reflect a member’s change of circumstances
- Leaving the scheme before retirement
- Understand when pensions benefits may become payable other than for retirement
- Interpret the scheme and regulatory rules to determine the type of benefit payable in the event of a member’s death:
- In service
- While receiving pension payments
- After a divorce
- Calculating and communicating pensions benefits
Payment of scheme benefits to pensioners
- Understand the scheme and regulatory rules relating to the calculations and processes involved in processing a pensioner payroll
- Determining continued payment of pensions benefits
Working as a member of the pensions team
- Communication skills
- Customer service skills and expectations
*Please note that all assignments and exam are completed online through CIPP's online learning platform.
Course cost: £1,395 +VAT and includes the following
Access to the CIPP’s student website which provides:
- All study material, induction and module review day slides, plus any additional information that may assist you in your studies
- Allocation of a tutor to provide you with support
- Exam and assignment fees: please note that there will be additional cost for deferrals and re-sits if required
The Chartered Institute of Payroll Professionals (CIPP)
Established in 1980 as an official industry body, the Chartered Institute of Payroll Professionals (CIPP) is the Chartered membership body for payroll and pensions professionals in the UK and currently has in excess of 10,000 members enjoying a range of benefits. Its education...
Chartered Institute of Payroll Professionals
Find out more about this Certificate in Pensions Administration course - simply fill out your details: