Want inspiration and special offers for your development? Sign up to our email alerts here!
Accelerated Route to Membership - International ArbitrationChartered Institute of Arbitrators
Accelerated Route to Membership - International Arbitration
To provide a fast-track route to Membership through the International (i.e. non-domestic) Arbitration Pathway. The Accelerated Route to Membership has been designed for busy, legally qualified professionals who have some unassessed knowledge of international arbitration. The aim of the programme is to assess whether the candidate has the knowledge required to understand the process of international arbitration.
Candidates must evaluate their personal suitability to undertake the programme, appreciating that the assessments are intensive and that they will be assessed against standard benchmarks.
The programme covers the law underpinning the process and procedure of international arbitration. It is therefore valuable for anyone who is conversant with the law and practice of international arbitration generally, whether as a party or party representative. It is also an essential step for anyone aiming for Fellowship and for those who aim to practice as an arbitrator.
How is the programme delivered?
This is an assessment programme as opposed to a teaching module. Learning will be based on private study prior to the oral assessment workshop, reinforced by tutor input and peer discussion during the workshop.
The programme is delivered over a period of two days, with assessment workshops on day one and an examination on day two. The programme dates advertised are the dates when candidates will be required to attend the assessment workshops and examination.
Suitability - Who should attend?
This Accelerated Route to Membership in International Arbitration is designed for busy and experienced legally qualified professionals who have a law qualification and substantial knowledge of adjudication or those with arbitration practice experience.
The course is also valuable for anyone wishing to be conversant with the international arbitral process generally, whether as a party, advocate, witness, judge or potential arbitrator.
In order to register onto the Accelerated Route to Membership, candidates must:
- have a relevant legal qualification such as a degree or diploma in law or hold a legal practice certificate;
- a relevant course offered by a CIArb Recognised Course Provider or a course offered by a CIArb Branch;
- have some knowledge of international arbitration.
English Language Competence - CIArb training and assessment is carried out in English it is therefore essential that candidates are proficient in both written and spoken English. Where English is not a candidate’s first language it is recommended that they have achieved a standard that is, as a minimum, equivalent to the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) level 7 or a score of 94-101 in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) system. CIArb issues this advice as a guideline and, while it will not require any evidence of this standard prior to enrolment on a course, candidates who do not have this standard of English may be disadvantaged.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
On successful completion of this programme candidates will be able to:
- Explain the principles and specific legal requirements in an international arbitration:
- The legal framework including limitations of matters that may legally be arbitrated;
- The contractual nature of the appointment of an arbitrator;
- The rights, duties and responsibilities of a party to an arbitration;
- The range and limitations of an arbitrator’s powers and jurisdiction;
- The methods of initiating and processing an arbitration;
- The relevance of the court regarding all stages in an arbitration;
- The requirements of an enforceable award;
- Evaluate and apply the principles and legal requirements of an international arbitration;
- Identify, explain and apply the legal procedural principles, rules and arguments relevant to the conduct of an international arbitration.
On successful completion of this programme, candidates:
- may be eligible to claim CPD points if the course has contributed to members’ development, and evidence of participation is provided, it may count as part of the CPD requirement for CIArb, Solicitors Regulation Authority, Bar Standards Board, ACCA, CILEX, ICE and RIBA;
- may progress onto Module 3 of the International Arbitration Pathway;
- will be eligible to apply for Member grade of CIArb, and take advantage of a range of educational and professional benefits.
Training Course Content
- Fundamental principles of the arbitration process;
- The UNCITRAL Model Law and Arbitration Rules;
- The arbitration agreement:
- Commencement of an arbitration and appointment of an arbitrator;
- Obligations of the tribunal, responsibilities and obligations of the parties;
- An arbitrator’s jurisdiction and powers;
- The arbitration process: meetings, timetable, submissions, experts, disclosure, hearings;
- The powers of the court;
- Interest and costs;
- Essentials of an enforceable award;
- Challenges, appeals and enforcement.
Why choose Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Over 16,500 members worldwide
Internationally recognised post-nominals
Over 2,000 students completed our Online Introduction to ADR course
The programme fee is £1250 + VAT. The fee includes registration on the programme, the first attempt at the assessments, study materials, lunch and refreshments throughout the day. Candidates are advised to refer to the Fee Sheet which details other fees that may be relevant.
Customer Outreach Award
We believe that it should be easy for you to find and compare training courses.
Our Customer Outreach Award is presented to trusted providers who are excellent at responding to enquiries, making your search quicker, more efficient and easier, too.
Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) is the world’s leading qualifications and professional body for dispute avoidance, management and resolution. CIArb is passionate about promoting a harmonious society and helping people and organisations avoid, manage and resolve conflict through our...
Find out more about this Accelerated Route to Membership - International Arbitration course - simply fill out your details: